> From: Vegan Portal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> 2) Programming language
> Proposal: pure Java 1.3.1x
> Remarks: I know many of you are trying 1.4 out, but it
> may still take some time to be able to be used for
> production sites. Moreover, many open source
> technologies were still not ported to 1.4. Correct me
> if I'm wrong.

1.4 is better IMHO.

> 4) Business Logic Persistence
> Proposal: Firebird RDBMS as JBoss service
> Remarks: I personally think it is most evolved
> open-source database now. The problem is, almost
> nobody uses it, the JDBC driver is beta etc. Next good
> candidate could be PostgreSQL - with more user
> support, so maybe better solution. Any ideas?

I vote for PostgreSQL.

> 5) Web container
> Proposal: Jetty as JBoss service
> Remarks: I know Tomcat is more used, but Jetty is
> easier to be integrated into JBoss and both offer
> similar if not same functionality. This is a point I
> would like to discuss further.

More people are familiar with Tomcat.

> dynamically created using SVG (anybody?)

Sure ;-)

> 8) Web frontend
> Proposal: Apache
> Remarks: This is only for security reasons - the task
> of Apache is just to forward the requests. I think
> more of you are using it, true?

Not needed.

> Project Management: PHPMyProject (or other web-based
> solution?)

No files released. Try phpcollab.

I'd be happy to jusm in if this gets attention. However, if this is
going to be serious, I wouldn't settle for less than two months of
design/documentation/prototyping before actually starting
implementations.
Besides, I'm sure many people may have great ideas on this.

Perhaps the common aim will be a strong customizable code base for
web-based, multiuser applications.

Cheers,

Manos