Hi Gernot -

Whether one method is a better or worse idea than another is largely
dependent on how you implement it. Yes, XSPs do somewhat violate
Separation of Concerns. And yes, you can compare XSPs to JSPs in terms
of pitfalls.

The fact is, that there are some things you can only do with XSPs. My
own personal preference is to first look at alternatives to XSPs (like
using SQLTransformer instead of XSP + ESQL logicsheet). Then, if I do
use an XSP, I try to use logicsheets wherever possible. If I have
<xsp:logic> blocks, I keep them TO A MINIMUM. If have more than say 2
such blocks, I typically make my own logicsheet. The extra time it takes
to do this is well worth the savings in administration later on.

Bottom line: there is no right or wrong way in Cocoon. Pick you
approach, especially if you are comfortable with it. Just develop your
own best practices to help you code cleanly and in a way that can easily
be maintained later on.

Regards,

Lajos

--