Hi Peter -

Not a dumb question at all. In fact, until recently, you had to add your
own build targets to build a clean example-less distribution. But now
you can do:

build.bat clean-webapp

or

build.sh clean-webapp.

This gives you a clean war file, without any samples, that you can copy
to your servlet container.

Once you have a running app, then I suggest that when you rebuild Cocoon
from the CVS sources, you copy the libs only from the
build/cocoon/webapp/WEB-INF/lib directory. That way, you get the latest
code but you don't have to mess up your sitemap.xmap and cocoon.xconf.
That is, unless there are changes to those files in CVS.

It is also a good idea to do your own work in a subdirectory of the main
cocoon installation and have your own sub-sitemap. That way, all your
stuff won't get stomped on if you happen to update the main sitemap.

Good luck,

Lajos

--
galatea.com