Timothy Larson wrote:
My guess is that FOP does not know much about Cocoon, and cannot fetch
files from anywhere except the filesystem.
No, FOP can use http URLs.

Unfortunately, the original message was  unparsable for me,
but I suspect something is wrong with the pipeline generating
the SVG, perhaps it's serialized as text instead of XML.
Another possibility could be that the original poster complained
about a known problem where SVG text is mangled.

J.Pietschmann