You should do 3 things:
1. Check the PDF docs and see if it understands SVG. If so, send SVG and not a bitmap. The quality of teh image will be better
2. Check out the SVG docs at http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8 to see how you create SVG docs.
3. Check the xsl:fo documentation http://www.antennahouse.com/XSLsample/XSLsample.htm to see how you need to create an xsl:fo document

The absolute URL is needed to get FOP to import the image. It has nothing to do with an external source or not, just that this is a bug in FOP!

Unfortunately there are no samples in Cocoon where a PDF contains dynamically generated images.

Bert