I tried this already. This does not work!
Here's my page:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsp:page language="java" xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp"; xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2"; xmlns:xsp-session="http://apache.org/xsp/session/2.0";>
<users>
<esql:connection>
<esql:pool>bvar</esql:pool>
<esql:execute-query>
<esql:query>SELECT * FROM members WHERE ID=<esql:parameter><xsp-session:getxml context="authentication" path="/authentication/ID" as="string"/></esql:parameter></esql:query>
<esql:results>
<esql:row-results>
<user>
<esql:get-columns/>
</user>
</esql:row-results>
</esql:results>
</esql:execute-query>
</esql:connection>
</users>
</xsp:page>

And here's the error :
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Language Exception: org.apache.cocoon.components.language.LanguageException: Error compiling test_xsp:
Line 371, column 18: illegal start of expression
Line 0, column 0:
1 error

Here's a snip of the content. Line 371 is teh line starting with the + sign:

try {
_esql_query.getPreparedStatement().setString(1,String.valueOf(
""

+ ));

} catch (SQLException _esql_exception_N1001C) {
throw new RuntimeException("Error setting parameter on statement: " + _esql_query.getQueryString() + ": "+_esql_exception_N1001C);
}

What else can I try?

Bert