I had indeed missed that step.  I've done it now, but don't seem to be
having any better results... same error.  I'm not sure how to test that
the /jre/lib/ changes actually took effect though.  I did restart tomcat
just in case.

Here's the error I'm still getting:

DEBUG   10371   [jendvsl ] (): XSLTProcessorImpl:
transform source = org.apache.cocoon.components.source.URLSource@2c3327,
stylesheet = org.apache.cocoon.components.source.URLSource@d24e3f,
parameters = org.apache.avalon.framework.parameters.Parameters@f41e9,
result = javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamResult@b05acd
DEBUG   10371   [jendvsl ] (): Creating new Templates
for http://jenny.myinfogenic.net/sitebuilder/simple.xsl
DEBUG   10371   [jendvsl ] ():
Source = org.apache.cocoon.components.source.URLSource@d24e3f,
templatesHandler = org.apache.xalan.processor.StylesheetHandler@1989b5

java.lang.NullPointerException at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.AbstractStreamSource.toSAX(AbstractStreamSource.java:204)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl.getTransformerHandler(XSLTProcessorImpl.java:268)