Jeremy,

If you're doing the SQL queries in a custom component (generator, transformer) you can use Cocoon's caching system. Have you class implement Cachable, and in the generateValidity() method you can return an object with the last modification date of the database.

see :
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/concepts/caching.html

and the API docs for Cachable and CacheValidity.

-Justin