I'm not a PHP user in cocoon, but I can provide some hints on the
information
you asked about.  First, the biggest clues come from an odd location
(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/tutorial/tutorial-develop-webapp.html):

----------------------
PhpGenerator
This generator functions just like the JspGenerator, but with PHP templates.
The PHP must generate valid XML, and be a file in the context.

This generator requires a JAXP 1.1 compliant parser and the phpservlet.jar
file that comes from http://php.net. Install the files in the WEB-INF/libs
directory. The PhpGenerator is not Cacheable.

So,

No, it's from php.net, although I don't know if the exact name given in that
doc is
still valid - it may ship with the default distribution of PHP though.

> I assumed that PHP had to be run by the compiled C apache module rather
> than a separate servlet.

You'll have to look at the php site for more information there - it seems
the servlet does depend on PHP being installed.
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.java.php

> I am not sure how it maintains state between calls - ie does my Cocoon
> sitemap have to know about all the potential parameters which my PHP code
> may use.... Hmmm.

You'll have to look in the code of PHPGenerator to confirm, but I believe
that
cocoon will pass the request object to the servlet, so potentially all
request
parameters should survive.  However, I don't believe that cookies share the
same luck, but again you'll have to check it out yourself.

Hope that helps,
Geoff Howard