I can't understand what you are doing w/out seeing the whole XSP. Typically I do this:

<xsp:page language="Java" ... />

<xsp:logic>
String myQuery = "select * from vwProducts";
<!-- Or whatever logic you need to build the query string -->
</xsp:logic>

<!-- other tags, as appropriate -->

<esql:connection>
<esql:pool>pierrefabre</esql:pool>

<esql:execute-query>
<esql:query><xsp:expr>myQuery</xsp:expr></esql:query>

<!-- rest of esql tags go here -->

</esql:execute-query>

</esql:connection>

Lajos

Yves Vindevogel wrote:
Hi,
I had tried this:
<xsp:page language="java"
xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp";
xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2";
xmlns:xsp-request="http://apache.org/xsp/request/2.0";
xmlns:xsp-session="http://apache.org/xsp/session/2.0";
create-session="true">

<esql:connection>
<esql:pool>pierrefabre</esql:pool>

<esql:execute-query>
<xsp:logic>
String myQuery = "select * from vwProducts" ;
</xsp:logic>
<esql:query>
<xsp:expr>myQuery</xsp:expr>
</esql:query>

And this didn't work !! I says: variable myQuery not found in class ..... When I do this, it works :

Guess the first part of the problem already got me on the wrong way ....

<xsp:page language="java"
xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp";
xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2";
xmlns:xsp-request="http://apache.org/xsp/request/2.0";
xmlns:xsp-session="http://apache.org/xsp/session/2.0";
create-session="true">

<xsp:logic>
String myQuery = "select * from vwProducts" ;

</xsp:logic>

<esql:connection>
<esql:pool>pierrefabre</esql:pool>

<esql:execute-query>
<esql:query>
<xsp:expr>myQuery</xsp:expr>
</esql:query>

NOW:
When I do this:
<xsp:logic>
String myQuery;

myQuery = "select * from vwProducts" ;
</xsp:logic>

It still gives me "class myQuery not found in class ....."
It only works when I immediatly assign it (String s = "jkml";)
I can't do anything on the string afterwards ...

How is that possible ??

Yves -

Why not build your select statement as a string variable inside an
<xsp:logic> block after the root user tag, and then reference it thusly:

<esql:query>
 <xsp:expr>myQuery</xsp:expr>
</esql:query>

I do this all the time and it works perfectly.

Regards,

Lajos

--
galatea.com