As always, ... it depends ...

You haven't said how many different time-series files you will
be using and you haven't said how often these will be updated
and/or queried.

Your proposed solution may be appropriate and quite simple to
implement or it may be a disaster in the making. Outsiders
can't help you without much more information.

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 16:47, Brent Eades wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A word of introduction... I belonged to the list a year or so back,
> but got sidetracked from Cocoon for awhile. Now I'm back tinkering
> with 2.04, and have no shortage of questions.
>
> Here's one (a rather broad and newbie-ish one.) In my project I have
> a large number of XML files that correspond to time series. Each is
> the same format:
>
> <timeSeries>
>       <seriesName>P12345</seriesName>
>       <observation>
>
>               <date>2001-03-12</date>
>               <value>1.25</value>
>
>               <date>2001-03-13</date>
>               <value>1.28</value>
>
>       </observation>
> </timeSeries>
>
> ... etc.
>
> Now: using the various mechanisms available through Cocoon, how best
> would I "query" a given file (directly, as opposed to through a
> database) via an HTML form, e.g., to extract and display only
> selected dates/values?
>
> I have a vague grasp of various ways I could do this if my data were
> to reside in an intermediate DBMS of some sort, but the objective
> here is to store each time series as an XML source file only, while
> still being able to query it.
>
> Does this make any sense? :)

> Brent Eades, Almonte, Ontario
>      http://www.almonte.com