Konstantin Piroumian wrote:
From: "Andreas Bednarz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Derek,

<snip why="dont want to argue"/>

no VM restarting for debugging etc

My advice won't help you much if you decided not to use Cocoon, but I hope
it would be helpful for other users. (Would be also fine if somebody could
write an this on Wiki).

To avoid restarting the VM (the servlet container) you should do the
following:
    - use a container that supports hot deploy or so (I've used Tomcat 4.0.4
and 4.1). You can use it for development only and then deploy some other
server.
    - configure your servlet container to load application located in
<cocoon-home>/build/cocoon/webapp. In case of Tomcat you should a context in
<tomcat-home>/conf/server.xml pointing to that location, e.g.:
        <Context path="/cocoon"
docBase="C:\Java\Apache\xml-cocoon\xml-cocoon-2.1\build\cocoon\webapp"
debug="0"
                 reloadable="true">
                     prefix="localhost_cocoon_2_1_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>
        </Context>

    - and at last build Cocoon using
build.[bat|sh]-Dinclude.webapp.libs=true webapp-local. This will build
Cocoon and will place all classes in WEB-INF/classes so Tomcat could track
changes.

Now you can compile your classes and Tomcat will reload the application as
soon as modifications are detected (it requires about a 1min).

--
  Konstantin