hy, Derek;

what you say makes perfect sense ;-)
only one suggestion for the first two pages:

1.)

"HOWTO setup cocoon in 15 minutes ;-)"
should be easy by condensing the other thread

2.)

"HOWTO setup your intranet with XML in 1 day"
it took me two weeks to figure it out, but i could
give away

2 style sheets
1 document xschema
1 sitemap

that would be sufficient to drive a very basic intranet site
like mine at http://www.saxess.de

simply by taking the files, putting them into cocoon and
then generating your content...

regards, hussayn

Derek Hohls wrote:
A quick addition to what Hussayn suggests - which is well
explained and makes perfect sense - is to take this one step
further - lets have a wiki for people to add/suggest etc BUT
we need to take from it the most polished and relevant material
and make it into a formal and well laid-out website (yes, I do
use wikis and I do host one inside my company - but they are
not always very accessible or well-structured from a newbie
point-of-view) - if we do our design correctly ;-) this should not
require much more than a stylesheet or two for the conversion.
Maybe the first topic on the Cocoon Newbie Wiki could be :
"Framework for a Cocoon Newbie Web (non-wiki) Site"??
I second Hussayn as editor for the new site (wow, a *real*
volunteer)
Derek

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 27/01/2003 10:52:47 >>>
Hy;

as a newbie (of three months age ;) ) i'd like to
contribute my thoughts to the documentation area:

1.) From my now 20 years experience in "computer art" i
learned that the newbies can tell much more about the
features of a program, than the developers can. Why?
because the newbie always tries "the wrong pathes" through
the software therefore detect the weaknesses and strenghts
of the app and often walk through pathes the developers
never thought of inventing new use cases , etc.
In turn the developers always are biased from their
architectural insights...

2.) In several projects i was faced with the situation of
lacking or inappropriate "user documentation". One
strategy for improvement was always to let the users
start writing down what they think the app does and
how they would use it. Then the developers had the
time to start thinking over what they implemented.
This is an iterative approach that fits better to the
real world, than "smacking at the developers and force
them to start documenting" ...

My *personal* conclusions on this:

1.) Instead of shouting against the developers i started
writing down my experiences within my company wiki.
I did this because i wanted a clear separation from
all the "masters of the art" articles turning up in the
cocoon wiki. Besides this some of the points i tackled
have to give at least little insight into tomcat and
other loosely coupled themes which i didn't want to add
to the ever growing cocoon wiki.

2.) Whoever writes docs for the newbies MUST get
help from an experienced user or a developer at least
for review. This could be the start of a productive
user centric quality assurance. This may eventually
get all these very interesting but (sorry) unneaded
explanations of avalon and other base technologies
out of the docs or at least into separated docs.

3.) Writing docs MUST be made as simple as possible. But it
should be surveyed from one or a few "editors" who keep
the docs in right shape, and right organisation.

so i would propose (as Derek does):

1.) Provide a platform separate from the already existing
documentation areas, which is clearly labeled as the
"newbies competence center", accessible to everyone
with most ease (start getting productive in a minute)
2.) I would recommend to use a separate Wiki for this
purpose.
3.) Instead of letting such a wiki free floating, get
at least one person into the role of
the "responsible editor"

And despite any possibly upcoming thoughts like
"this is open source, everyone (thus noone?) is responsible"
i would gladly get into the role of the "responsible editor"
for some time at least. And if it makes sense, i also would
start hosting such a "cocoon CC Wiki".

Meanwhile i will continue writing down my personal insights
and eventually donate all this stuff to whatever
will come up as a newbies documentation infrastructure ...

regards, hussayn

--
Dr. Hussayn Dabbous
SAXESS Software Design GmbH