To anyone who can help,

I now have installed the following:

            JDK 1.3
            Cocoon 2.0.4
            Tomcat 4.0.6
            Apache 2.0.42

And they are all working! J

When I say they are all working, I mean that they each show the own
page, e.g http://192.168.0.5:8080/cocoon/ or
http://192.168.0.5:8080/index.html for tomcat.

What's not working:

I had previously had installed Cocoon 1.3 and tomcat 3.3a, and I put a
simple soundpool example in the webapps directory. This displayed only
the
source code of the xml file, hence the upgrade.

I have got all the new versions installed and I have put the same
example in the webapps directory in tomcat again, and tried viewing it
through Internet Explorer 6. It is coming up with the following error:

  Apache Tomcat/4.0.6 - HTTP Status 404 - /soundpool/soundpool.xml
  type Status report
  message /soundpool/soundpool.xml
  description The requested resource (/soundpool/soundpool.xml) is not
available.

I have put the following code in my sitemap under pipelines:

  <!-- soundpool -->

  <map:pipeline>
      <map:match pattern="soundpool/soundpool">
            <map:generate src="soundpool.xml"/>
            <map:transform src="soundpool.xsl"/>
            <map:serialize/>
      </map:match>
  </map:pipeline>

So I have put my xml and xsl file in directory called soundpool under
webapps, so my directory structure looks like this:

C:\tomcat\webapps\soundpool\soundpool.xml
C:\tomcat\webapps\soundpool\soundpool.xsl

+ tomcat (folder)
 + webapps (folder)
  +- soundpool (folder)
    +- soundpool.xml (file)
    +- soundpool.xsl (file)

I assume that webapps is the correct folder.

I also used mod_jk to link tomcat and Apache, although this shouldn't
make any difference at this stage.

I followed Lajos's Flash guide to install the apache, tomcat and cocoon,
found at the following sites:

http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/apache-tomcat-4-win32.xml

http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/tomcat-cocoon-42-win32.xml

any suggestions?