Hi,
I want to be able to display (and edit via a web form) articles in different languages. Latin1 encoding is not sufficient because there are articles in Russian and Japanese as well. To store the articles on the server I use the latest (7.3.1) Postgresql with Database encoding set to UNICODE. So far everything works fine.

In the sitemap I set the encoding as follows
<map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.html" mime-type="text/html" name="html" pool-grow="4" pool-max="32" pool-min="4" src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer">
<buffer-size>1024</buffer-size>
<encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
</map:serializer>

This writes the tag in the head section of my HTML document

That seems to be what I need, but it seems not to be sufficient:

PROBLEM: When I call the Page in a UTF capable Browser (Mozilla 1.2) the character coding is set to ISO-8859-1. Only if I manually select Unicode from the menu everything displays fine. But if I reload the page the coding switches back to ISO-8859-1!

I get the same results when calling the cocoon i18n samples page.
(tested with Mozilla 1.2 on Mac OSX and Linux)

Any ideas how I can force the client to switch to UTF-8?

Thanks
/Leo