The portal and the authentication framework are not alpha anymore. With the
next release (either 2.0.5 or 2.1) they will be part of the distribution.

> 2.) Why is the portal generator so involved with the authentication? ie, I
> want to make a public portal, and only protect the customize pipeline. (I
> have the sunshine demo up and running, and have changed it to
> what i need, I
> have the portlets built, etc)

The authentication framework supports more than authenticaton: web
application
management. As a portal is a web application, this helps in configuring the
portal.

> 3.) Is there any docs or personal articles that are a little more recent
> than a year old? It must have moved along somewhat in that time.

The latest docs in cvs should be upto-date and should not refer to sunrise
or sunspot anymore.

Carsten