hi christopher,

I remember other people trying to do this, but unfortunately the 'type'
parameter is not dynamically resolved. this restriction doesn't only apply
to <map:act>. other examples are  <map:serialize>'s type, which could also
be useful.

so in short; it's not possible your way.

but I remember somethig similar (for cocoon 2.0.4 it's in scratchpad);
MultiAction/AbstractMethodAction, for which you could specify a
'sub-action'. you would define a class implementing the methods you want to
invoke, configure the MultiAction/AbstractMethodAction in your sitemap with
the method's names you want to invoke and finally invoke them with <map:act
type="my-multi-action" method="fooBar"/> which would call that MultiAction's
method. please have a look at the respective docs?/sources.