Niclas Hedhman wrote:

I favour a simple self-registration, with email address as user name (so that the community can bombard the intruder with hate mail - just kidding).

Having a valid wiki name is not enough! I think we have to enter a password as well!
...but this would be against wiki design principles [1]:
*Open* - Should a page be found to be incomplete or poorly organized, any reader can edit it as they see fit.

The suggestion of Hussayn is a nice thought: if you subscribed to the mailing list (dev|user|cvs) then you can write - otherwise you have to subscribe to the list.

[#1]http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiDesignPrinciples