I realize my approach is somewhat reversed, however, in pages that are accessed and change often it seems like it might be necessary to obtain acceptable performance. For example, if I had a poll on a home page that changes every second or so, it would be a huge waste to output the current value of the poll (a single number) every time the page is accessed and then regenerate the xml for the whole page and then transform it all again. Rather, it seems that it would be much more efficient if the call to the database was put off until the entire page was transformed and cached first. I realize this is possible to do with cocoon with transformers, however I was curious if there was any way to do it with esql and xsp.

Please correct me if I am wrong, or if this added complexity for high traffic pages is not necessary.

Kris

 Leszek Gawron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On wto, kwi 01, 2003 at 12:43:29 -0800, Kris Rasmussen wrote:

> How does cocoon handle caching of xsp pages with esql tags? It seems to me that cocoon would have to generate the xml output of the xsp page every time the page is called, and thus would be unable to cache any xsl translation latter? Is this true? If so would it not be a better idea to have the page be translated into html before all database code is called and then insert the database code at the very end and output as a jsp page or something?
Is that the way other server side frameworks do? Remember that the most
important thing is data, which is being generated at the beginning and then
the presentation is applied. Your approach is completely reversed.

Take look at Velocity - maybe it could solve your problems
ouzo

--
__
| / \ | Leszek Gawron // \\
\_\\ //_/ [EMAIL PROTECTED] _\\()//_
.'/()\'. Phone: +48(600)341118 / // \\ \
\\ // recursive: adj; see recursive | \__/ |