> All of this works fine when requesting the page using Netscape Navigator
> (valid page and images, no errors in log file). As soon as I use the
> Microsoft Internet Explorer to request the same page, the HTML page is
> returned, but the svg image has not been served properly. According to
> the log file there was a "java.net.SocketException: Software caused
> connection abort: socket write error" (details included below),

I remember that other software (Squeak) had a somewhat similar problem which
was solved by changing something in the networking layer. The browsers were
different regarding opening new connections. I think Netscape created one
connection to download one file after another while MSIE created a
connection for every single file on a webpage. Something like that. It took
some time to fix that problem...

Andreas