I'd recommend doing this with an action.  The wiki covers this
pretty well (though it's clearer if you're using 2.0.x).

Check out:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=FileUploadsWithCocoon
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=FileUploadWithAction

and http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=FileUploadsWithFlow
if you're using 2.1 (even if you don't use flow, this contains
useful info for the changes to the upload api in 2.1)

Geoff