> have you tried putting the jars in the jre endorsed directory as well ?

Yes, I have, no difference, though you should only need to have one endorsed
directory, I've added the endorsed switch to make sure java is using
Tomcat's endorsed directory (-Djava.endorsed.dirs=) but it's looking for
XML-RPC and SOAP classes which is not in your standard XML jars. I suppose I
could just start adding them, just wondering what's the standard way of
getting M1 or M2 working. I've gone through the docs in the website for
getting it to work with TC 4.0.3 but still no go.