I think that's asking a bit too much of OSU. Especially when we can't
even get anyone to step up and say they'll be responsible for app-level
admin on this machine!  (OSU is responsble for what I think of as "OS
level admin".  Installing the OS, networking, OS-level security patches,
backups (not sure if we actually have em, but if we did it would be
OSU's responsibility :) ), etc.)

But I'm sure any number of code4libbers could provide server space for
simple test/dev, with limited bandwidth or CPU needed and no expectation
of consistent uptime.  That's not the hard part, the hard part is what
OSU is doing.

Personally, I think that it's not neccesary to be as strict with it as
Kevin did. I think the reason that the anvil code4lib turned out to be
insufficient had less to do with people running non-production code on
it, and more to do with a lack of committed sysadmin resources.  Now OSU
has volunteered those committed sysadmin resources, and I don't think
it's neccesary to take the kind of strict "production box" procedures
that a fully-staffed commercial IT organization would take. We're still
all volunteers here. But that's a question that could be decided (with
lots of 'advice' from the code4lib community I'm sure :) )by anyone who
took responsibility for overall app-level admin on the machine, if there
were such persons!  If not, then?

Jonathan

Andrew Nagy wrote:
I still think if you want a production machine, though, you shouldn't
be doing development on there.  If you want to do something with
DokuWiki put it some other place first and get it like you want it
there.  Otherwise, I think we're just recreating anvil with all the
inherent problems that an open/development environment will entail.
Of course, making that decision can fall to the sys admins if the
community doesn't have a preference (they'll be the ones who get to
pick up the pieces anyway).

Can OSU provide a staging machine to test out implementations of things like
dokuwiki before launching them live?  Perhaps make the code4lib server
virtualized?

Andrew

--
Jonathan Rochkind