On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Peter Schlumpf <pschlu...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I want to get back to simple things.  Imagine if there were no Marc records.
> Minimal layers of abstraction.  No politics.  No vendors.  No SQL
> straightjacket.  What would an ILS look like without those things?

Back to this original question, when I imagine these things, I imagine
building an ILS that relies on an unusual data persistence backend,
discounts industry-standard data formats, and explicitly ignores the
political concerns of adopting, deploying, and maintaining it.

And I get a little bit nervous.

For what it's worth (and I think this touches on the ontological
discussion in this thread, too) -- my experience has been that it's
easier to build a piece of software that solves a problem
compellingly, solving technical hurdles as you need to than it is to
come up with solutions to anticipated technical problems before
starting on making a product.

More concretely: if you build a software product, I don't care at all
whether it's based on a SQL straitjacket or a luscious RDF comforter.
I care if it solves a problem well, and that I can install it and run
it easily.

Cheers,
-Nate