Ross Singer wrote:
Well, there's the project by Alistair Miles that Karen alluded to earlier:

http://code.google.com/p/code4rda

The goals of this project are, in my mind, crucial in moving forward,
since it's taking our existing corpus of records and turning them into
RDA/RDF.  Not only is it a good proof of concept to show how these new
data models would look and work (esp. how they would work w/r/t to
current applications/workflows), but, more importantly, it shows it
can be done *with our current data* alleviating the need for some
unrealistic retrospective recataloging effort.

I guess the way I look at it is, there's still time to fix this, at
least technologically.  There is a difference between the standard,
the data model and the application.

An interesting experiment would be to attempt to use the cataloger's use cases that Alistair worked from, but instead of using the RDA vocabulary to use bibo+vocab.org/frbr. That would give us something comparative to look at. If bibo+frbr can do all or even a lot of what RDA does, then we can demonstrate a different model and explain why one is better than the other (or at least that more than one model will work).

kc

--
kco...@kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net