Edward M. Corrado wrote:
Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
I was thinking it would happen on a weekday. There would be more stuff going on
here on campus, as well as give everybody a break from their normal work week.
More specifically, I would suggest such an event take place on a Friday so the
poeple who stayed over night would not have to take so many days off of work.

While I'm not in the Midwest, I think that any of these type of one day, weekday, conferences are best done on a Monday or a Friday to allow for less time off of work. Sure there are some disadvantages if work wants to give you the travel days, but I could certainly sell 1 or 1.5 days off from work a lot easier then 2 or 3.

I agree with this. I don't mind attending conferences on weekends, and if a conference is on a Monday or Friday, I can spend the one day of the weekend traveling and the other exploring the city where the conference is held. It's also a lot for convenient for with a working spouse (with a limited amount of vacation time available) and a 6 year old son.

Of course, some trips ara a little more difficult to plan. Two weeks from tomorrow I'll be taking a business trip which will consist of three days of meetings, and five days devoted to travel. The trip will take me to Paris, Johannesburg, South Africa and a little town in Tanzania called Morogoro.