At Lehigh, I've extracted e-journals from our SirsiDynix Symphony catalog via API into alphabetical and discipline-based XML documents. We then index those documents with Swish-e (http://www.swish-e.org/) and display the browse-able XML alphabetized lists and search interface in our Drupal-based website. Drupal, however, has little to do with the A-to-Z list other than processing the PHP/XML/XSLT. The Discipline-based order is determined by a value defined in local MARC field.

Our A-to-Z databases are NOT cataloged, so they are managed by a small PHP/MySQL app that two of our librarians control additions, deletions, and edits of metadata.

You can see the interfaces here:
  General Library Site: http://library.lehigh.edu/
  Specific Database Finder app:
    http://library.lehigh.edu/node?quicktabs_1=1#quicktabs-1