On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 14:05, Kaplan, Deborah <deborah.kap...@tufts.edu> wrote:

> The tricky part for the old guard to do is how do you manage preserving as
> much of the original vibe as you can while not putting up a wall that keeps
> out scary strangers. It's hard work, but not impossible. People have proposed
> lots of potential solutions in this conversation: say there is no problem and
> we like it the way it is; lottery for a single conference; different
> registration times for a single conference; one large and many regional
> conferences; shrink the current conference even further. All of them have
> pros and cons. As long as people are willing to talk through them and be
> willing to change, the conference will probably be the stronger for it.

Well said, Deborah.

I'd love if we had one or more hosting proposals for #c4l13 that
suggest tinkering with, or scrapping, the formula.  Otherwise this
thread will end the way many of our threads do, by fading into a
series of bacon and OCLC jokes, which are then rehashed year after
year.

Though I've thoroughly enjoyed all six code4lib conferences, I can
appreciate folks' arguments for change.  I will say that I think we've
done a decent job at not putting up a wall that keeps out scary
strangers -- it's unscientific, but the opening show of hands the past
few years has shown that we continue to attract many dozens of
newcomers every year.

-Mike