I absolutely agree that it's not a simple solution, I wasn't trying to
imply that it was.  That said, trotting out a half-assed (if half!)
implementation is probably less helpful than just using fuzzy search.

I think what you see with Google (and what I think would work 'better'
in libraries) is suggestions based on phrases, rather than individual
terms.  After all, archaic spellings and misspellings are the proper
spelling, in context.  Now, what constitutes a 'phrase' is probably
open to debate...

At the very least, don't show suggestions for things that still will
produce zero results.

-Ross.