Would it be possible to re-write this position as a project-based contract?

Such a position is more appealing for short-term (part-time) gig-type work
and telework types. Also, it helps you out in that if the telework thing
doesn¹t work for various reasons, you¹re done with it at the end of the
contract. You could always offer an opportunity to renew the contract for
a new projects if it does seem to work for the both of you.

-Sean