I went back through previous versions of CodenameOne version by version.
When I got back to version 3.1 I was able to install the build on my
Android 2.3.5 device.

Unfortunately along the way I had to comment out a new CodenameOne API
calls I was using, so this is not really a solution for me.

Something changed between 3.1 and 3.2 that prevents installing an app on
Android 2.3.5.

Thanks