Submitted another build, this time with just android.gradle=false and that
generated a file that would install on this device.

The reason I was excluding Google Play Services was because I don't display
ads and checked that option when submitting my app last time. Google
displayed a warning that I was including an ad library even though I said I
did not display ads. The app was accepted though.

I don't understand why location services could not be found when excluding
Google play services as I am not using them. Is it possible CodenameOne has
code that references them?

Also I still think it should have worked with the Gradle build as the
device seems to be supported.

This at least lets me submit a new version of my app.

Thanks