I never used to have a problem with gnuworld.....
But a recent change appears to have changed the configure script around for
the worse..... At least for me, anyway....

Now, ./configure is unable to find my libpq++.h in /usr/include/pgsql,
because it *insists* on looking for it in /usr/local/pgsql/include.

So when I download a new version (I usually just archive the old and
download the current one on a clean empty slate), I now gotta:
  - edit  the configure script to tell it where libpq++.h is
  - run ./configure
  - run make and watch it run ./configure again and not find libpq++ in
/usr/local/pgsql/lib
  - edit the configure script again to tell it where libpq++.h is
  - run ./configure again
  - edit the Makefiles in mod.cservice and mod.ccontrol because the
./configure edit only does the libpq++.h and sets up the Makefiles to look
for the libraries in the include dir as well...  Point the libs to
/usr/lib/pgsql
  - run make (which compiles fine this time)
  - run make install
  - set up my config files
  - dropdb and recreate the db's if applicable

Maybe it's just Mandrake 8.0 being configured weird, but this is the way I
gotta do things......
I'm running Mandrake 8.0 with postgresql 7.0.3 (tried 7.1.1mdk but it
doesn't seem to include plpgsql.so so I can't use it....)
It seems to have been since the libtdl was added that it started doing this
for me.....