> I also installed an mIRC32 client on Windows 2000 workstation and tried the c
> onnection, the connection was very slow, the following messages poped up from
>  mIRC client:
>    -vtlinux.thruport.com- *** Looking up your hostname
>    -vtlinux.thruport.com- *** Checking Ident
>    -vtlinux.thruport.com- *** Got ident response
> then hanging there for a while (1 minute), then
>    -vtlinux.thruport.com- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
> then
>    PING? PONG!
>    Welcome to the Internet Relay Network....
>
> I just wonder what's the reason the connection hanging there for so long? is
> that because of hostname look up, how can I skip this procedure, or at least
> make it faster?

If you're using one of the u2.10.10-series servers, when you run the 'make
config' step, select 'yes' when you are presented with the 'NODNS' option.
Alternatively, configure your Linux system in such a fashion that your
Windows system will have a name associated in DNS with it--this typically
involves configuring the Linux system as a caching name server serving a
local zone, and editing /etc/resolv.conf to point to 127.0.0.1 as the name
server.  This assumes that your Windows system is on a private subnet; if
it has an IP address that can be reverse-resolved, that suggests that the
DNS set-up on your Linux machine is incorrect.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>