> ack, I sent this e-mail to early, thinking that it *did* remove the ban.
> However, it did not, a couple of minutes later:
>
> What's going on?!

The bans were placed with an access higher than yours.  You then tried
to remove it and couldn't, but X let you unset the ban from the channel
(since you could /mode #chan -b .....), this is a "Feature", for
instance you might want to free up some banlist entries so you can set
some more bans.  Then when the user rejoined it set the bans again
(since they were still in X -- you didn't have access to remove them).

Or am I missing something?

--
You will remember something that you should not have forgotten.