> Here's what I see from the non-opped client:
> [12:54] * Hidden sets mode: -k key
> [12:54] * USP sets mode: +k key
>
> That's exactly what I see from the opped client: it shows the key to
> everyone, even non-ops. Should the server hide the chan key to the eyes of
> the non-ops by replacing key with * ? By the logic of hiding the key to the
> non-ops on /mode, I would say yes.
>
> What are your thoughts on the subject ?

There are two rationales for this behavior.  The first is quite simple--users
on the channel are supposed to be on the channel.  If they weren't, they'd
have been kicked by now (especially now with the NetRider code).

The second is also quite simple--it is extremely difficult to send two
different mode strings to two different sets of clients.

This means our current rules are like so:

Join a channel, issue /mode #channel--key appears as "*"
Join a channel, get ops, issue /mode #channel--proper key appears
Sit on channel, +k is set by netburst--key appears as "*"
Sit on channel, +k is set by user--proper key appears

Notice that the latter two have no dependance on who is and is not an oper.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>