On Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003, at 12:09 Pacific/Auckland, Gavin Grieve wrote:

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 10:00, Tim Ramsey wrote:
Frederik Vervaet wrote:
Will be abused instantly. For example : users on a shared uni network behind
NAT will have same [EMAIL PROTECTED] thus allowing them to collide others from the same
network.

My thoughts are similar. At various times, I connect a second client
from the same [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a number of reasons, mostly it is to get
around minutes of lag. It would be very frustrating for my first client
to be collided just because I connected a second client.

What about allowing the user to lower the ping timeout setting on connect?

That seems a usable compromise.

Another fix would be to allow users to ask X to zot old nicks with the
same [EMAIL PROTECTED] logged in to the same Cservice ID.

This seems a better solution imho, however as with all things related to
X, thou shalt get CService to want it implemented, and so it shall be
coded. Other networks have this ability due to patches they've coded
themselves.

Gavin
aka HeKTik

CService wont do it, mostly because it means letting X use the power to /kill or "nick collide" and the Server Admins do not want that. X was simply not created with that purpose in mind. the client selects ping timeouts seems to be the best option here.

(plus do you want to give a hacker the ability to /kill you if they happen to get your username and password?)

-- Regards [EMAIL PROTECTED] Official CService Administrator

-- CAUTION: This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received it in error you must not use, disclose, copy or retain it. Please immediately notify us by return email and then delete the email.

MailScanner with McAfee UVScan, and is believed to be clean.