It's probably bad form to explain on an open list how to use a bug to map
out the network... : )

-AK

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Michael Poole
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 3:32 PM
To: coder-com@undernet.org
Subject: Re: [Coder-com] Problem with delayed

Andrew Miller writes:

> Progs wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>If I have two servers, AA and AB, with AAAAA and ABAAA on #foo, a +D
channel.
>>AAAAA is delayed on #foo and ABAAA is +d.
>>There are only AAAAA and ABAAA in #foo.
>>When AAAAA speaks on #foo, ABAAA is +d so AB doesn't receive message, so
ABAAA doesn't see AAAAA's join.

>>Bug or feature ?:)
>>

> This could be used to build a map of the network and determine where the
> hubs are. Anything which breaks HIS that bad is a bug.

Please explain.  I don't see any practical way to get useful
information out of this.  For leaf servers, having a deaf user in a
channel only tells you whether there are any non-deaf users in the
channel *on the same server*.  It does not tell you who they are or
how many there are.  You get more information (but not a lot more) if
you allow users on hubs, which does not seem relevant.

Also, how is the deaf-user case different from the no-user case?

Entrope