Tom Rons writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am running into an error when trying to start u2.10.12.12 on MacOS X
> 10.5.1. I got the latest release through cvs and it compiled
> flawlessly. However, after I create an ircd.conf in the "new syntax",
> when I try to start the daemon I get the following error:  "error
> setting max fd's to -1". Since it compiled fine, I figured this must
> be something trivial. During the configuration routine, the script
> states "checking max connections... 252", which leads me to believe
> that the file descriptor settings should be OK..
>
> I have ran ircu in the past, though this took place on remote servers
> using ssh access. I recently purchased an iMac and am still getting in
> to Mac OS X, I figured perhaps anyone here has encountered the same
> problem? Either way, thanks for your help / suggestions.

It sounds like OS X is doing something unusual with either the
getrlimit() or setrlimit() system call.  You'll have to either do the
debugging and diagnostics yourself or find someone who will -- since
it is a commercial OS, coder-com members can't easily set up a sandbox
to play with it.

One early step would be to change line 185 in s_bsd.c (the "error
setting max fd's" line) to something like this:
  fprintf(stderr, "error setting max fds to %d: %s\n", limit, strerror(errno));
That would at least give the error message, although it wouldn't say
why OS X works differently than every other Unix variant that we have
tested ircu on.

Entrope