I've a huge fan of all things electronic security (working in this space
for a living).... but personally, I see little benefit in SSL for IRC,
because of the very architecture model.

Unless you're speaking with another client on the same server, or all
people in a channel you're on is on the same server, you'd end up with a
false sense of security.

Without guaranteeing that ALL client<->server connections are encrypted,
and any server<->server connections in between are as well, you could never
be sure that the end to end path is encrypted and thus MIM attacks are
mitigated.

So without that scenario, wouldn't the client be fooled into a false sense
of security?

/2 cents

- Empus