On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 14:06 +1000, Empus wrote:

> I think you're missing my point.

No I didn't, thats why I said stand alone servers or networks with
"mandates" ie: it is server policy. or network policy to only ever
accept SSL connections, but, like I also said, it would not work on
large networks like undernet

> However, if you chat with me, the ServerA<->ServerB connection, and
> also the ServerB<->ClientB side of the connection, is all insecure.
>  You think your SSL provides security on our conversation, but in
> reality, it wouldn't.  It only protects the ClientA<->ServerA side of
> things.  One could argue that some security is better than none, but I
> think it's a dangerous illusion of sorts.

Perhaps I should have included in my expample the  port 4444  "ssl =
yes"  too :)

> Again, these are just my thoughts but it's something I've considered
> before and I think it's a valid reason to be wary of IRC over SSL.

Agreed to a point, when using something unknown, always anticipate
unknown factors, SSL requires all or nothing, and yes, we both know that
with networks who want high user counts to build a large network, it
wont work, it just couldn't, well not in the foreseeable  next decade
anyway, but it would be nice to give the little guys options should they
want it, and with some countries, it might be advantageous for the
protection of the citizens using it from spying govt officials, and we
all know from recent events that goes on in some places, thankfully not
in a democratic society, well, not until the Australian Govt gets it way
with its new attempted laws for snooping and data retention, apparently,
it they get passed, Australians will be assumed all criminals and guilty
by default of crimes they might have have even committed, until proved
innocent by a court, well, thats my take on what data retention is for,
so hte aussies might soon appreciate ircu-ssl  lol