Thank you for your replies,

Joni, the article does seem to be an outlier, which is not to suggest that
all coverage on millets has to be the same or uniformly positive. But here
I get the sense that the object was to find some catchy juxtaposition (per
clickbait, as you put it). It missed on some fundamentals, as I see it -
namely: omission of mention of the International Year of Millets; no a
clear indication that the authors understood that "millet" is not one
thing, culinarily; and no delving into the premise of "no taste." A more
productive angle, if they wanted to focus on the matter of flavors of
millets, might have been to ask if taste might be a factor in the decline
of popularity of millets relative to major cereal grains in India (since
that country was the setting for the effort we are reviewing), and if it
might be a factor in their revival. Not sure that would have worked either,
but it might have been more thought provoking.

This short feature article does not seem to have had much play in any media
space, so it may not be helpful to write a formal reply. On the other hand,
it might be worth cultivating relations with food writers at the WSJ and
other news organizations. It's good that millets (even if just "millet")
got some recognition in this paper - has it run any straight news pieces on
millets or the IYM?. Maybe an invitation rather than a rebuttal would yield
a better harvest?

David, I actually have a waxy (glutinous [not glutEn as we know], or
"sticky") proso millet in my kitchen. I've only used it as a grain
component in a stew, with the thought that its physical qualities help make
the sauce part more viscous (I'm more of a food hacker than a cook, but the
resulta aren;t bad. My impression generally is that the flavor isn't
significantly different. In the case of rice, for me, sticky rice is
comfortably in the range of rice flavors. If you have a market specializing
in Chinese foods, it should be easy to find sticky ("nuo") millets: proso
("da-hwang-mi") or foxtail ("xiao-mi").

Regarding flavors of millets generally, I'd still like to see some "blind"
taste tests. Is there enough of a millets constituency at Iowa State to
arrange such a thing, say this fall?

Best to all,

Don

DO, EL, MI, US