On 10/13/12 04:27 AM, Sebastian Harl wrote:
Ack. I'm not sure, though, if it's a good idea to implement that before
most/many/all parts of collectd actually support "reconfigure" as people
might expect too much from SIGHUP else

Just to toss this out there... as I mentioned on a different thread, collectd is already (and frequently) calling each plugin's init() function. It does this every time update_kstat() is called.

In fact, I think I've just run into another crash in cpu.c where numcpu is being messed about with inside init() while cpu_read() is using it for a calculation.

So if it influences the debate any, it might be good to push the reconfigure notion, even if some plugins get left behind... because to a certain extent, it's happening already and some of the plugins don't deal well with it at all. Might as well get the benefit along with the pain.