FrankChen021 commented on PR #20382:
URL: https://github.com/apache/druid/pull/20382#issuecomment-5770315194

   > > In this PR(and other object storage like deep storage), the new property 
druid.storage.zip is used to determine whether segment files are compressed as 
index.zip or not. However, in #18982 , we introduced a new property 
druid.storage.compressionFormat for HDFS deep storage to indicate which 
compression format is used for compression(zip and lz4), that PR didn't bring 
the change to object storage like S3, Azure ang google cloud(because we don't 
use object storage), but architecturally, that property should apply to all 
deep storages. So I think we should use the druid.storage.compressionFormat( 
with a new NONE enum supported ) to replace the druid.storage.zip.
   > 
   > My stance is that it would make sense to add 
`druid.storage.compressionFormat` to `DeepStorageSegmentConfig`, but I didn't 
personally have much interest in adding support for it to the other deep 
storage implementations because I am primarily interested in storing V10 
segment format files in deep storage uncompressed so that `SegmentRangeReader` 
can do partial reads to support partial loads on historicals. V10 format stores 
the segment as a single file (metadata header + a bunch of concatenated 
internal files so kind similar in spirit to zip 0) so it shouldn't change the 
overall number of files in deep storage (at least without any extensions to 
add/attach 'external' files).
   > 
   > In terms of compression/encoding, going forward I am much more interested 
in ways to shrink the internal files stored inside the v10 segment file so that 
we can preserve the ability to do partial reads, so I'll be spending any 
time/energy I have to pursue that instead of expanding the types of generic 
compression we can apply to the whole container
   > 
   
   I agree with you that as you're putting effort on the new segment file 
format, the new compression does not make sense, we also don't have any 
plan/interest to push these forward. 
   To make current configuration design consistency across all deep storages, 
for this part, my position is that we can do a small clean up to deprecate the 
`druid.storage.zip` and use `druid.storage.compressionFormat` instead to 
eliminate ambigulty. If you don't have time, I can do this after this is merged.


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to