DanielLeens commented on PR #11494:
URL: https://github.com/apache/seatunnel/pull/11494#issuecomment-5190591222

   Thanks @SEZ9 for staying on this one too — I want to push back gently on the 
Issue 1 conclusion this time, with the evidence for why.
   
   I checked the current `dev` baseline for the two methods this concern is 
about:
   
   - `DefaultReader.readData(Path path)` is already `private` on `dev` 
(`DefaultReader.java:89`). A private method has no external callers by 
definition, so a signature change here — streaming via 
`forEachData`/`RecordConsumer` instead of returning a `List` — cannot be a 
public API break; it's an internal implementation detail of one class.
   - `IFileReader.readAllData(Path parentPath)` stays on the interface as a 
default method specifically so that any third-party `IFileReader` 
implementation that only overrode the old method keeps working — this is 
exactly the "Backward-compat path" your own 2026-07-22 review traced 
(`IFileReader.forEachData` default impl falling back to `readAllData`). That's 
the one place a real downstream implementer could be affected, and this PR 
deliberately keeps it in place rather than removing it.
   
   `WALReader` itself is internal `seatunnel-engine-storage` plugin code, not a 
`SeaTunnelSource`/`SeaTunnelSink` SPI surface, so there's no connector-facing 
contract riding on its method shapes either.
   
   Given that, I'm keeping my 2026-08-04 approval as Daniel's current 
conclusion: no open source-side blocker from my side on this head (`bccb2761`), 
recovery semantics unchanged, WAL format unchanged, checks green. If you're 
aware of a concrete external caller of `DefaultReader.readData` or a specific 
`IFileReader` implementation outside this module that would break, I'd 
genuinely like to see it — happy to reopen the blocker with that evidence. Note 
I only have read-level review permission here, so a write-capable maintainer 
still needs to handle the actual merge/approval-state step regardless of how 
this discussion resolves.


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to