Chris Douglas wrote:
Spending the next few months voting and arguing on which
patches make it into "new" 0.20 (branched in 2008) instead of
addressing these issues is *not* progress. I strongly oppose this.

If it takes months, it is a failure.  It should take weeks, if that.

Thus far the changes suggested for a 1.0 branch are:
 - de-deprecate "classic" mapred APIs (no Jira issue yet)
 - add HDFS-200 (improved append)
 - add HADOOP-6668 & MAPREDUCE-1623 (audience and stability annotations)
 - add MAPREDUCE-1650 (exclude private elements from javadoc)

Are there other specific issues folks would like to see in this? We could, e.g., set a 1-week deadline for proposals, 1 week for discussion, and one week for voting, and roll a candidate in three weeks.

Would you strongly oppose such a 3-week process?

Doug