Owen O'Malley wrote:
It is tempting and I think that 0.20 is *really* our 1.0, but I think re-labeling a release a year after it came out would be confusing.

I wasn't proposing just a re-labeling. I was proposing a new release, branched from 0.20 rather than trunk. We'd introduce some changes, after voting on each of course. Candidates are MAPREDUCE-1623 and MAPREDUCE-1650, to better clarify what's intended to be supported in 1.0, and HDFS-200, to make append reliable.

Since we have not yet made a 0.21 release, this numbering would be consistent. It also naturally permits further 1.x releases that add features, like security.

Doug