On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Eli Collins <e...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I took a quick look at the changes in the branch

Thanks for taking a look. Please continue to inspect and test out the
release and vote. I'm really excited that we'll have a release that has
security and the "fred" user limits. Users desperately need these
improvements. Furthermore, it is really important that Hadoop gets back on
to a regular release cycle with releases coming out frequently. The current
stable release of 0.20.2 was released a year ago, which is much much too
long.

> How do we ensure future releases won't violate compatibility with
> respect to this release?

We are still in catchup mode in terms of making sure that everything gets
committed to trunk. Of course our users will correctly complain if the later
releases have regressions relative to this release. Thanks for pointing out
the issue.

> Do we plan to have jiras with patches against
> trunk for these changes, at least for the set of changes that affect
> public APIs?

Yes, I'll work on ensuring the necessary patches get applied to trunk.

> If so, should that come first?

The most import question is this release candidate a usable replacement and
improvement on the current stable release 0.20.2. I believe it is a huge
improvement and should be released.

-- Owen