Doug,

On May 2, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:
The patch selection process for this branch did not appear to be a
community process.  A massive patch set was committed en-masse with no
public discussion before or after about its specific composition.

Lets review:

# You proposed to release off the Yahoo security patchset first in April, 2010: http://s.apache.org/5Gv
# I started this discussion again in Jan, 2011: http://s.apache.org/uf
# We went through several iterations:
- I first committed a jumbo patch upon which some reservations were expressed. - Owen went ahead and broke them up to commit individual patches to incorporate the provided feedback. # Roy clearly clarified the way forward: http://s.apache.org/tD4 (which Owen has since incorporatedk by breaking into individual patches).

Your current stance given the history, is surprising, to say the least... we have already discussed this. It is clear that the community (including downstream Apache projects like Pig, Hive and HCatalog) will substantially benefit from an Apache release of this improved codebase.

thanks,
Arun