Hi, There:
I just thought an idea. When we format the disk , the block size is usually 1K to 4K. For hdfs, the block size is usually 64M. I wonder if we change the raw file system's block size to something significantly bigger, say, 1M or 8M, will that improve
disk IO performance for hadoop's hdfs ?
Currently, I noticed that mapr distribution uses mfs, its own file system. That resulted in 4 times performance gain in terms of disk IO. I just wonder if we tune the hosting os parameters, we can achieve better disk IO performance with just the regular
apache hadoop distribution.
I understand that making the block size bigger can result in some disk space waste for small files. However, for disk dedicated for hdfs, where most of the files are very big, I just wonder if it is a good idea. Any body have any comment ?

Jimmy